Truvada® (and similar drugs) are used to prevent and treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Unfortunately, the drug’s active ingredient caused some patients to experience serious side effects including bone density loss, kidney injuries, and more. If you experienced serious side effects after using Truvada or other HIV medications, you may be entitled to financial compensation.
2021 Truvada Lawsuits
For the more than 1 million Americans living with HIV, drugs like Truvada once seemed like a breakthrough solution: a drug that could both treat and prevent the life-threatening infection.
Truvada and similar medications are once-daily, oral prescription medicines for adults that combine two types of HIV drugs: TDF and FTC (or emtricitabine).
The combination of TDF and FTC is designed to:
- Treat HIV by blocking an enzyme that stops the infection from multiplying
- Reduce the risk of contracting HIV as part of “pre-exposure prophylaxis” (or PrEP), a relatively new tool for HIV prevention
Truvada was first approved by the FDA in 2004 as a treatment for HIV. Gilead later sought FDA approval for PrEP use, which it secured in 2012.
Manufactured, marketed, and sold by leading drug maker Gilead Sciences, Truvada is one of five HIV drugs that contain tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF). Other common HIV drugs, all of which contain TDF, are Atripla, Stribild, Viread, and Complera.
Truvada Side Effects
TDF is linked to serious side effects, including:
- Acute kidney injury
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- End-stage renal disease (ESRD)
- Renal failure
- Renal insufficiency/impairment
- Bone density loss
- Bone breaks/fractures
- Tooth loss
If you or a loved one took a drug containing TDF and suffered from kidney injuries or bone problems, you may be entitled to compensation. Reach out to the Truvada lawyers at Sokolove Law for a free legal case review.
Filing a Truvada Lawsuit
Numerous TDF drug users are filing Truvada lawsuits seeking financial compensation. Reach out to a Truvada attorney at Sokolove Law to learn whether you may have a case.
Truvada Lawsuit Claims
- Gilead’s TDF-containing drugs may be unreasonably and unnecessarily toxic to patients’ kidneys and bones
- Gilead allegedly knew even before going to market that TDF could be highly toxic and that a much less toxic alternative was available
- Gilead allegedly withheld this safer alternative for more than a decade to make more money, even as patients began reporting severe side effects
- Gilead allegedly failed to adequately warn physicians and consumers about the safe use of TDF drugs, including the need to monitor patients for side effects
Contact Sokolove Law
We’re ready to be your Truvada lawyers.
How Do Truvada Lawsuits Work?
Filing a Truvada lawsuit may seem like a lot, especially when you’re grappling with the side effects of a medication you thought would keep you safe. But the legal process doesn’t have to be a stressful experience.
When you work with a team of HIV drug lawyers, you just may be surprised by how little you actually have to do.
In general, your legal team will:
- Determine the validity of your case during a free legal consultation
- Build your case, meeting with you in person wherever it’s convenient for you or talking via phone call or video conference
- File your Truvada lawsuit
- Go to court if your case doesn’t settle
Sokolove Law strives to make the legal process as accessible and stress-free as possible. Fill out the form on this page today for your free legal consultation.
Choosing Truvada Lawyers
Filing a Truvada legal claim can be a difficult process without the support of an experienced legal team — but not all lawyers can offer you the same advantages. That’s why it’s so important to work with a law firm that will have your back.
Here’s what you should look for when choosing a Truvada lawyer:
- Free Case Evaluations: Sokolove Law offers free, no-obligation legal consultations, so you can see if you may have a legal case, absolutely free of charge.
- A History of Success: Many law firms have a successful lawsuit from time to time, but you want to work with someone who has been successful over a wide range of time.
- No Upfront Fees: Did you know that our lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning we’ll only get paid if you do.
If you’ve experienced serious side effects after using HIV drugs like Truvada, our team may be able to help you pursue financial compensation through a lawsuit.
Pursuing a Truvada Lawsuit
According to Truvada lawsuits, Gilead was allegedly reluctant to hurt sales by admitting its TDF-based products were unreasonably and unnecessarily dangerous. By withholding that fact, Gilead could stand to make billions.
Pharmaceutical companies should never be allowed to exploit American people — especially those suffering from a life-threatening infection. That’s why the Truvada attorneys at Sokolove Law stand firm with HIV patients to recoup the money and quality of life they lost after putting their faith in TDF drugs.
Will you stand with us to hold Gilead accountable? If you have taken a TDF drug and suffered any of the side effects above, you may be entitled to compensation with the help of a Truvada law firm.
Contact us today for a free legal case review from a Truvada lawyer. There is no cost to speak with us, and we are available 24/7 to discuss your potential Truvada lawsuit claim.
Note: Do not change medications without first consulting your doctor.
Truvada, Viread, Atripla, Complera, and Stribild are trademarks of Gilead Sciences, Inc.
HIV Drug Lawsuit Frequently Asked Questions
What are the long-term side effects of HIV medication?
There are currently five PrEP HIV medications — Truvada, Complera, Atripla, Stribild, and Viread — with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF), which has been linked to many severe side effects.
A few of the most severe TDF-related HIV medication side effects include:
- Renal or kidney issues
- Bone fragility and fracture risk
- Tooth loosening or loss
If you’ve experienced PrEP HIV side effects like these, you may be eligible to file a TDF lawsuit. Fill out the form on this page today to get a free legal review of your case.
Why should I file a Truvada lawsuit?
When a pharmaceutical is made available to the population, it should be safe to use. Truvada and other HIV medications (like Atripla, Complera, Stribild, and Viread) were not. Now people are suffering as a result.
Filing a Truvada lawsuit might help you to:
- Secure compensation for medical expenses or treatment
- Hold drug companies accountable for their negligence and your illness
- Raise awareness of the drug’s side effects and prevent others from being hurt too
If you or a loved one took Truvada and experienced bone or kidney problems, Sokolove Law might be able to help you. Get a free legal evaluation for your case by filling out the form on this page.
How long do I have to file a Truvada lawsuit?
For Truvada lawsuits, the statute of limitations (or the time you have to file a lawsuit) depends on the state you live in. If you miss the deadline for filing a Truvada lawsuit, you won’t have the opportunity to do so again.
Don’t miss your chance to hold the company that harmed you accountable. If you took Truvada and suffered bone or kidney injuries, fill out the form on this page today for a free legal case review.
How much does a lawyer for a Truvada lawsuit cost?
Hiring a lawyer for a Truvada lawsuit shouldn’t cost you anything upfront. At Sokolove Law, our experienced lawyers work on a contingency basis, so there are no initial fees or hourly rates. We’ll only get paid if you get a Truvada lawsuit settlement.
Why do my kidneys hurt when I breathe?
If you experience kidney pain when breathing, schedule a visit with your doctor to determine the cause of these symptoms. While it could be something as simple as kidney stones, it may also be indicative of something more serious.
If you’ve taken HIV medications like Truvada and are suffering from kidney-related side effects, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit to receive financial compensation.